woman sitting on sofa while looking at phone with laptop on lap

Having a social media presence is essential for customer engagement. However, it needs to be utilized correctly to have the desired impact. That means you need to create a social media strategy that incorporates how and when to post as well as the types of posts with a specific function attached to them. Posting randomly, where and when may result in some success, but it is not a long-term strategy that will enable you to improve as you go on. You need to develop interest, expand your reach, engage with your community, promote your brand, and advertise products and services. Once you have a well-researched strategy behind you, you can start developing content for each post.  

Image from Pixabay

Branding

Branding is essential to your social media marketing content. You can use this to develop key messages for individual posts which have a solid foundation backed up by your brand and highlighted on your website. A post that has no foundation may make you appear false, and this does not bode well. A strong brand with a company philosophy that you can use to enrich your social media content should be part of your content creation process. This helps build coherence, brand loyalty, and trust.

Content Objectives 

Not all content is created equally. You need to understand the purpose of each post before you begin constructing it. Perhaps it is about customer engagement, then you may pose a question or something similar. If it is about generating a wider reach, then an interesting photo and caption may be what you need. Develop a purpose, then pose in conjunction with this, apply all the right KPIs (key performance indicators) and metrics so that you can determine the success of each post. Using this data is how you create better and more targeted content going forward.  

Plan Your Content

You will need to decide the types of language you need to use for each specific purpose. Emotive language may be used with the purpose of customer engagement, educational language when you want to explain something about your brand, perhaps. Think about a post purpose with each of the key messages too. Why not develop a storyboard of posts where each of them ties together, but act independently too. It is best you use something like the 20-80 strategy where 20% of your posts are promoting your products and brand. The other 80% are more concerned with reach, customer engagement, informing, and educating. Create a posting calendar and limit posts to two or three hard-hitting excellent pieces a day, rather than ten mediocre posts.

Develop High-Quality Content

Content comes in many forms, the written word, images, video, etc., and you need to develop content in the format most suitable for your message and purpose. Ensure your writing style is succinct and grammatically correct. You may need to look at the difference between i.e. and e.g. especially if English is not your first language, for example, and oy have an English audience. Also, use the best product available for your other content creation formats too.

By Erica Buteau

Change Agent. Daydream Believer. Maker. Creative. Likes love, peace and Jeeping. Dislikes winter, paper cuts and war. She/Her/Hers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.