Recipes and Images courtesy of FoodNetwork.com
Kids Can Make It! Recipes for the Dog Days of Summer!
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups 1-inch cubed watermelon, chilled (about 2 pounds)
- 4 scoops strawberry ice cream or your favorite flavor
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- 4 to 8 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds or peanuts, chopped
- Add the blackberries to a medium bowl and sprinkle the sugar over in an even layer. Mix them together and mash with a fork. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes. Add any extra juices from the watermelon, up to 2 tablespoons, to the berry mixture and stir to combine.
- To serve, arrange 1 cup of the watermelon cubes into an “X” shape in a banana split dish. Place one scoop of the ice cream in the middle. Scatter 2 tablespoons of the blackberry sauce over the ice cream. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, 1 or 2 cherries and a tablespoon of nuts. Repeat for the remaining servings.
KIDS WARNING: Note to parents: Never leave a child unattended in the kitchen. These recipes are appropriate for children of various ages, 4 to 10. When a recipe calls for cooking on the stove or using a paring knife, an adult should do those activities and let the child assist, if age appropriate.