No matter how old my son gets, or how much he outgrows “mommy and me” time, there’s one place he’s still willing to hang out with me- in the kitchen. He’ll be turning 15 in two weeks (gasp!) and he has better cooking skills than some of the adults I know. He loves to cook, bake and will try any recipe I suggest.
My other kids really enjoy cooking, too! My almost 13 year old daughter (double gasp!) is always asking to help me prepare dinner.
And the little guy, now officially eight (whoa! what?!), loves to help me bake the most. His favorite show has been Cake Boss for the last few months. In fact, we are planning a trip to Pennsylvania for a week in June and visiting DC, the Statue of Liberty, Lancaster, PA, Hershey, and stopping into one of the Carlo’s Bakery locations. Of all of those things “Cake Boss” is first on his list!
Benefits to Kids in the Kitchen
The first, and most important benefit of having your kids help out in the kitchen is family time! It’s a great time to bond with your kids while teaching them some important life skills. Teaching your kids to cook also has some additional benefits like:
- Responsibility: Kids in the kitchen have to learn how to be responsible. Safety comes first, especially when kids are cooking!
- Self Esteem: Nothing makes this mom more proud than a proud child who is ecstatic over what they have accomplished!
- Education: There are lots of aspects to cooking that use math, science and reading. Cooking with kids is a great way to teach them about measurements, why certain food are added to a recipe and how to read carefully.
- Food Exploration: Kids in the kitchen often want to try new things like different recipes and a wider selection of fruits, vegetables and other foods they might have left on their plate had they not cooked it themselves!
What are some of the other benefits you think kids get out of learning to cook?
Ozeri Green Earth Smooth Ceramic Nonstick Frying Pan, 100-Percent PTFE and PFOA Free
Disclosure: We received an 8″ Ozeri Green Earth Smooth Ceramic Nonstick Frying Pan to review. This post also contains affiliate links. Should you click those links and make a purchase I will receive a small commission. All opinions are my own.
As soon as my almost 15 year old saw this pan on the counter he wanted to cook! He decided to make an omelet and he sure did a great job! Check it out at the top of this post. I have never had an omelet come out looking so great!
The Ozeri Green Earth Smooth Ceramic Nonstick Frying Pan is 100-Percent PTFE and PFOA Free. My kiddo found that it was non-stick and really cooked evenly! I love that it is scratch resistant, especially when there are kids in the kitchen- and metal utensils in the house. Accidents happen but in this case- scratches don’t! And, neither do we worry about chemicals from typical scratch resistant cookware.
According to Ozeri, the features of the Green Earth Smooth Ceramic Nonstick Frying pan include:
- Unlike other ceramic cookware brands, the Ozeri pan utilizes an ultra-safe ceramic coating inspired by nature which is 100% PTFE and PFOA free.
- Delivers unprecedented non-stick performance without releasing harmful fumes or toxins at high temperatures.
- Features a scratch-resistant 100 percent ceramic coating that is super easy to clean.
- Made out of durable heavy-gauge die-cast aluminum with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals.
- Boasts a comfortable heat resistant Bakelight handle, and a magnetized induction stove safe base for rapid heat transfer.
My Kids in the Kitchen
Need some recipe ideas to get started? Try these quick and easy Pizza Rolls, or our 2 ingredient Funfetti Cake! Or, get our entire collection of family friendly recipes in one of my books! Instant downloads are just $2.99!
This post is included in the Mondays Parenting PIN-IT Party! Check it out for some great parenting advice, recipes, crafts and other projects to do with your kids.