Picture from Unsplash
Anybody involved in a car accident will go through painful events that leave the victims with bodily wounds, emotional distress, and financial burdens. In the event of a car crash resulting in financial losses knowing the steps involved in settling a claim with the assistance of an attorney is crucial.
Steps to Settle a Car Accident Claim
Here are the steps you need to follow to settle a car accident claim with the help of a lawyer:
- Seek Medical Attention
After a car crash, the first thing you should do is to get yourself examined in case you are hurt. No matter how well you think you are doing, it is important to get checked by a doctor to rule out the possibility of any hidden ailments that could create complications later on. It is essential to document all injuries and subsequent medical care.
- Contact a Lawyer
Protecting your rights after an accident requires prompt action in contacting legal counsel. A lawyer will be able to advise you on the legalities of your claim, help you gather proof, and represent your interests in negotiations with the insurance company. Do your research and hire a personal injury lawyer who has handled similar cases.
- Gather Evidence
To support your claim, you must gather evidence of the accident. This includes police reports, witness statements, accident scene photographs, and other relevant documents. Your attorney can assist you in gathering this evidence and putting it to good use.
- Determine Liability
Determining who is liable for the accident is crucial in settling the claim. Your attorney can look into the incident, examine the evidence and establish liability. Liability can be shared between multiple parties, depending on the circumstances of the accident.
- Calculate Damages
It is essential to determine the extent of damage in order to reach a fair settlement in the case of an automobile accident. When figuring out how much money you should get, your attorney will consider factors like medical expenses, lost pay, pain and suffering, and property damage.
- Negotiate with the Insurance Company
The insurance company will settle the claim once your attorney negotiates on your behalf. The insurance company may make a settlement offer which your lawyer will review and advise you on whether to accept or reject. If the offer is insufficient, your lawyer can negotiate a higher settlement.
- File a Victim Impact Statement
If you have suffered emotional distress from the accident, you may want to file a victim impact statement. This statement outlines the emotional and psychological impact of the accident on your life and can be used to support your compensation claim. Search for a victim impact statement example to begin forming an outline.
Things to Ensure Before Settling a Car Accident Claim:
Before you settle a car accident claim with the help of a lawyer, there are some things you need to ensure. These include:
- Don’t Admit Fault: Do not admit fault for the accident, as it can hurt your case.
- Don’t Sign Anything: Don’t sign anything without consulting your lawyer first. Insurance companies often pressure policyholders into waiving their right to legal redress.
- Be Patient: Be patient and let your lawyer handle the negotiations. Settling a car accident claim can take time, and rushing to settle can hurt your case.
Benefits of Claiming a Car Accident with the Help of a Lawyer:
There are several benefits of claiming a car accident with the help of a lawyer, including:
- Gathering Evidence: A lawyer can assist you in gathering and compiling important evidence required to make a strong case, including police reports, witness interviews, and medical records to back up your claim.
- Calculating Damages: Your attorney can determine how much money you’re owed for medical bills, missed pay, and pain and suffering
- Filing a Lawsuit: If necessary, a lawyer can file a lawsuit for you to ensure you receive fair compensation.
Settling a car accident claim with a lawyer’s help can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been involved in an accident, you can defend your rights and get the compensation you deserve by following these procedures and dealing with an experienced personal injury attorney. Save any accident-related paperwork and, if applicable, file a victim impact statement.