A close up picture of a baby.

At a time like this, with all of the things that are going on, a virulent virus going around, people facing unemployment, businesses shutting down, the last thing you should have to worry about is the exposure of your child to toxic chemicals. Sadly, it is common that you can get exposed to chemicals that can cause congenital disabilities and be completely unaware that the exposure has taken place until after your child is born with a congenital disability.

Potential Causes

If you suspect that your child has been exposed to a harmful chemical, the first thing you need to do is determine what chemical would cause the congenital disability that your child has. Here is a list of the most common chemical culprits:

Industrial solvents – this is used in the manufacturing of furniture.

Ethylene glycol ethers – This chemical is found in fingernail polish remover.

Epoxy resin-based glues – This is also found in furniture manufacturing.

Ammonium hydroxide – You find this in hair treatments.

There are many more, but these are the most common.

It is important to remember that it is not just you that can pass on a congenital disability unknowingly. Dad can get exposed and pass on a congenital disability as well. These chemicals have been known to cause the following defects: Heart defects, cancer, cranial defects, missing or deformed limbs/organs, facial deformities, spina bifida, among others.

Where to Get Help

The next thing you need to do is get some legal advice from a birth defect lawyer. They know best about how to get the benefits that you and your child may be eligible to receive benefits, so that your child gets the medical attention that they need to lead a productive life.

Finally, you need to acquire as much information as you can because you are your child’s best advocate. Nobody is as tenacious as a parent who fears for their child’s future. Get out there. Find the information online, call specialists to get the latest, most up-to-date treatment information at the library. Become a specialist on whatever birth defect your child has. Read the medical journals and bulletins put out by the Centers for Disease Control and the National Institute of Health. They have a lot of information on their sites that can help you out.