When you want your home life to be as beautiful as possible, there are many sides to that which will probably need exploring. Something which is particularly important is to look at what dangerous substances there might be lurking around the home. As soon as you hear this, your first thought might well be: what dangerous substances? And that is exactly the problem. Most people have dangerous chemicals at home in abundance, but are not aware that they do. This lack of awareness is the real danger, as what you don’t know about, you can’t do anything about. In this post, we are going to look at some of the most common dangerous substances in the home – and discuss ways of dealing with them.



If you have never heard of lead poisoning, you might be surprised at just how unpleasant it sounds. Lead poisoning can lead to all sorts of symptoms, ranging from vomiting to stomach cramps and even aggressive behavior. In large quantities or over an extended period of time, it can be lethal. You are probably thinking that there is no way that you have lead in your home – but are you sure? Lead can be found in many things, most notably in paint, and you often don’t know it’s there until you start to notice those nasty symptoms. Fortunately, removing lead paint is not too difficult. You need to contact the professionals in that area, who will be able to dispose of it for you. This is the only way to deal with it, but if you have it then it is necessary.


This is quite a famous example of something which can be found hidden in homes and which is extremely dangerous. With enough time in the presence of asbestos, you might even develop lung cancer, so this is a really serious one. Fortunately, you can always get rid of it – but this isn’t something you can do yourself without putting yourself in real danger. Hire the professionals, and make sure that they know what they are doing (going for more experienced firms is a good idea here). If there is any asbestos in your home, you want it all removed as soon as possible.

Carbon Monoxide

This next one is not something that you are going to find in your home – because it is invisible! Yet, it can be present in the home without you knowing, as it is odorless as well. You might wonder what the problem is, but carbon monoxide can kill you in a matter of days if you are not careful. If you are poisoned by it, you will gradually be subjected to it and might be hospitalized before you know it. It most commonly occurs because no windows have been opened for a while and there has been a leak from a boiler or other source. The best method here is prevention, and you can do that by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.

By Erica Buteau

Change Agent. Daydream Believer. Maker. Creative. Likes love, peace and Jeeping. Dislikes winter, paper cuts and war. She/Her/Hers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.