Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Fanatee. All opinions are my own.
The Importance of Vocabulary
Despite what my children think (that vocabulary skills exercises were designed solely to make their writing hands “fall off”), it really is important to increase your vocabulary. For children, the reasons can be somewhat obvious in that they need to learn particular skills to be able to communicate with others. But, once we have the basics down it’s still a good idea to build upon that foundation.
Brain training and mind strengthening exercises really do keep our brains healthy! I personally enjoy good old fashioned crossword puzzle books. But, those are becoming harder and harder to find and when I’m on the go I typically don’t carry them with me! For those times, I love to play word games like Letroca on my iPhone or, if I happen to have it with me, my iPad. And, don’t worry! The Google Play store has the app as well! You can also play it on Facebook, here.
Wikipedia on Vocabulary Skills;
- An extensive vocabulary aids expression and communication.
- Vocabulary size has been directly linked to reading comprehension.
- Linguistic vocabulary is synonymous with thinking vocabulary.
- A person may be judged by others based on his or her vocabulary.
- Wilkinson (1972) once said,” Without grammar, very little can be conveyed, without vocabulary, nothing can be conveyed.”
Ways to Expand Your Vocabulary Skills
- Reading online, reading offline, reading easy books, reading difficult books. Just read!
- Look up any words you don’t recognize! Dictionaries weren’t just designed for a child’s weekly spelling and vocabulary list.
- Playing Word Games
Letroca was created several years ago by some of the founders of Fanatee. The goal of the game is simple: score the most points by forming different word combinations using the letters available. With the birth of the company in 2013, the team decided to re-launch the game, but with some improvements. Letroca turned polyglot and can now be played in English, Portuguese and Spanish. The evolution of social networks also left its mark on Letroca, allowing players to connect their Facebook accounts to share scores and play with friends. New game modes were also developed. Ha8ve you played Letroca today.
— Featured as Best of App Store 2013 —
Play Letroca and find as many words as you can using the letters available. The more words you find the more points you get. Play in 3 different game modes!
Think fast and expand your vocabulary. Get the whole family to join in!
How do you work on your vocabulary skills?