Totally Easy, Truly Tasty Tortilla Soup #Recipe
Totally Easy, Truly Tasty Tortilla Soup
I hadn’t had Tortilla Soup since I was last in Texas five years ago visiting my oldest Step-Son. It was delicious and being a good old “New Englander” not even something I’d ever heard of at the time! Clearly, I live a very sheltered life ’round these parts!
We spent the day on Saturday testing out our new snowshoes, an awesome family gift from my parents. All five of us received a pair and there’s a great place known as the Nansen Ski Club (the oldest continuously operating Ski Club in the US, in fact) that allows snowshoers to enjoy their trails and even venture off them if they should so desire. More about this adventure later this week.
Anyway, although it was a nice 37 degrees, we still had a bit of a chill by the time we arrived home. I knew soup had to be on the menu but I wasn’t totally sure what kind, until I remembered tortilla soup. I ran to the local grocery store which has a great Shop to Cook touchscreen Kiosk. I was able to search quickly for an easy, tasty sounding tortilla soup recipe and found this Campbell’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. I made some very slight modifications based on what I could find in the store and doubled the recipe to feed all of us and have a bit leftover.
Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 lb chicken breast (skinless boneless, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 cartons (about 8 cups) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked regular)
- 2 cans (11 ozs each) Mexican corn (corn kernels with red and green bell peppers) drained
- 1 jar chunky salsa (I used mild but this is where you can turn up the heat if you like it spicier opt for medium or hot)
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves (dried) or 2 tbsp fresh chopped
- 4 tbsps fresh lime juice
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
Tortilla Soup Directions
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven. Add chicken pieces. Cook until browned, stirring often.
- Stir the broth, cumin and rice in the saucepot. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, salsa, cilantro and lime juice. Cook until the rice is tender.
- Top each servicing of soup with tortilla chips or crisp tortilla strips. Can also top with some avocado and shredded cheese.
I served mine with easy grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. I used Muenster cheese, smoked ham, homemade bread and plenty of butter. Yummy!