Better Than Takeout Crockpot Beef and Broccoli Recipe
I’m not a huge fan of Chinese Food. I overindulged at lunch for years while working in an office two doors down from the best place in town. But, when I get the craving, not much will suffice. I had such a craving today and ordering takeout just wasn’t in the budget. So I improvised.
This version of Chinese style Beef and Broccoli blew me (and any sort of idea that I might be on a diet) away. There’s no mystery meat, no strange chemicals. Just good old fashioned home cooked food!
Typically, I just mix and match and dump whatever sounds, or looks, good into my crockpot and turn it on. The last time I did that I created Crocka Cola Pot Roast– a hit at home and with over 840 pins in two weeks, I’d say a great big hit with my readers and on Pinterest!
This time, though, I adapted another blogger’s recipe. You can find the original here.
Crockpot Beef and Broccoli
- 2lb Top Round Roast- cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Cups Beef Broth (Use reduced fat for healthier option)
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce (Use low sodium for healthier option)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (Adjust to taste)
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 TBS Sesame Oil
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 TBS Cornstarch
- 2 Bags Frozen Broccoli (or Fresh Equivalent)
- 1 Can Water Chestnuts (Optional- My husband also suggested Bamboo Shoots)
- Mix broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper in CrockPot. Add cut up beef, stir well. Cook on low for about four hours.
- Take out about 1/4 cup of the broth. Mix well with cornstarch. Add the mixture back into the CrockPot to thicken the sauce.
- Add the frozen broccoli and water chestnuts.
- Cook an additional half to one hour.
Serve over rice or noodles.
I would say you could also use stew beef for this or even chicken but you’ll need to adjust your time accordingly. Chicken might take a little less time. For stew beef I would probably add another 2 hours to the total cook time since its a much tougher cut of meat.
I’ve shared this post on the Mondays Parenting PIN-IT Party! Check it out!