We often do not tend to think much about the roof of our home building or commercial premises until there is an issue with it. And, when there is an issue, it has a habit of being an expensive one. This is why it is important to keep on top of roof maintenance and make sure you lookout for any signs or indicators that there could be something wrong. With that being said, below, we are going to take a look at some of the signs and indicators that you need to get in touch with a roofing company sooner rather than later.
Signs of a problem with your roof
There are a few of the best companies in the industry today that will provide you with a free roof inspection. This is something you may want to make the most of if you are buying or selling a property. However, it is also a good idea to get your roof examined if you notice any of the signs that we mention below.
- Your energy bills are higher than usual – There is only one place to begin, and this is with your energy bills. We know that utility bills seem to be increasing all of the time. However, if your energy bills are unusually high, this could definitely mean that there is cool or warm air leaking out of your roof. After all, temperatures rise, and so they leave via your roof, so this is an obvious warning sign to start off with.
- Your roof deck is sagging – Another indication that there is likely to be an issue with your roof is if the decking or rafters in your building have started to sag in a downward motion, as opposed to being straight. This typically happens when they are wet due to leaking moisture. If this is a localized issue, you may be able to avoid getting the entire roof replaced. However, it is important to act as quickly as possible, as this problem is only going to get worse and worse.
- You have spotted leaks in your attic after it has been raining outside – In addition to the signs that we have mentioned so far, another indication that your roof has some sort of issue is if you notice leaks in your attic once it has been raining. This could mean that some of the flashing needs to replace. However, if the issue is stemming from a porous underlayment, you may need to get the roof replaced.
- There are stains on your ceilings or interior walls – Have you noticed that there are some stains or discoloration on the walls of your property? How about the ceilings? This is another common sign that you have an issue with your roof. One of the common problems here is that the roof’s underlayment is allowing moisture to get into the building. When this happens, the roof can often need to be replaced. However, the best thing to do is simply get in touch with a quality team of roofers who can assess the issue and give you a realistic understanding of what is going to be needed.
- Blistering or peeling exterior paint – If your building is not ventilated effectively, increased moisture or humidity can start to accumulate close to the roofline. This can result in the paint peeling or blistering. Again, this is another sign that you need to get in touch with a quality roofing company sooner rather than later.
- Wear and tear around roof elements and openings – You need to make sure you regularly inspect your roof, especially around any openings. Make sure you check out your chimney, as well as any vents or pipes. Objects like this can penetrate your roof, causing deterioration. This is why it is imperative to make sure you regularly check and inspect your roof and all of its elements. Remember, the sooner you act on any issues, the cheaper it will be overall.
- You have spotted a considerable amount of shingle granules in your gutter – When shingles are made from asphalt or composite, they tend to shed their granules once they begin wearing out. The granules will often end up on your gutter. You will notice their black, coarse apparance. The granules are pretty much like black sand. If you notice a considerable amount of these granules, don’t ignore them.
- Shingles that are dark, dirty, and possibly even wet – If moisture gets trapped into the shingles, this will mean that they are not going to be able to do their job effectively. Because the water begins running downhill, do bear in mind that the wetness could not be directly underneath the shingle that is causing the problem.
- There are curled or cracked shingles, or you may even have some shingles that are missing altogether – Last but not least, if you have noticed that there are some shingles that are missing, or if there is an issue with your current shingles, i.e. they have started to curl or they have cracked, this is a clear indication that the shingles themselves have not got much to give anymore. They have reached the end of their lifespan, which is another compelling reason to get your roof checked out sooner rather than later.
Don’t let roof issues get worse and worse
So there you have it: some of the different signs and indications that you may have an issue with your roof. If you have noticed any of these problems, it is important to get in touch with a roofing company sooner rather than later. We know that it can be tempting to put these things off because you do not want the hassle or the expense. However, the longer you leave things, the more expensive they are going to become and the more hassle it will be for you. So, make sure you inspect your roof carefully and look for a reputable roofing company whenever you suspect that there could potentially be an issue.